I’m Andy and I am an award-winning professional actor with over 20 years’ experience ranging from stand-up comedy and festival work, through theatre and television, to independent and Hollywood film.
My acting career has taken me to many places, and I Iove doing it. But perhaps the most valuable things it has given me are the skills to support other people. Through roleplay, workshops, mentoring and coaching, I have been able to empower people to find their confidence and their direction. It’s this work that truly motivates and fulfils me.
I have developed role play, facilitation, teaching and training skills and now regularly work for The Royal College of GPs and Kaplan Learning providing professional role play services to support objective structured clinical examination. I have also worked as a teacher and facilitator for school children and students.
I am lead actor and team mentor for PsychEDUp – an amazing programme run by King’s College London and the Maudsley Hospital that uses roleplay to train and educate student doctors about mental and psychiatric illness, while giving them the chance to roleplay unusual and upsetting situations in a safe, supported environment. They receive training and support not only on medical diagnoses, but on their communication skills, empathy and understanding. I have also worked on a previous programme run by King’s, called Extreme Psychiatry.
I have considerable writing and improvisation experience and am happy to develop, as well as deliver, structured material to support a variety of teaching, training or motivational outcomes.
I am passionate about the value of using acting techniques to deliver professional – and personal – development. I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and am dedicated to improving my understanding and experience in this area, which is why I’m currently studying for the CIPD’s Level 5 Award in Learning and Development.
Andy’s full profile and all acting credits can be found here on the Spotlight website.
- Star, with Oscar-winner Jon Voight, of Hollywood movie franchise “Baby Geniuses”
- Co-star, with Tom Arnold, of Christmas movie “Chilly Christmas” – winner of Best Kids Film at Cannes 2012
- Co-star of Total Film Top British Horror Movie “Harold’s Going Stiff”
- Co-star in BBC “Holby City”, “People Just Do Nothing” and ITV “Birds of a Feather”
- Co-star of “The Divorce”, winner of the Pears Award from the London Jewish Film Fund
- Theatre credits from diverse productions in London and Edinburgh Festival
- Hugely successful advertising campaigns including “Paddy Power”, “Nokia”, “Challenge Jackpot” and “Sky TV”
- Trained at Redroofs, UK and Elephant Stages, USA. A member of Equity and SAG-Aftra.
Role Play & Improvisation
- Regular medical role play work for The Royal College of GPs – clinical examinations
- Royal College of Surgeons medical role play – clinical examinations
Repeat role play work for Kaplan Solicitors Objective Structured Clinical Examinations.
- Lead role play actor and team mentor for PsychedUp at King’s College Hospital.
- Previously part of core volunteer role play team for Extreme Psychiatry at King’s College, London.
- Experienced stand-up comedian, including performances at Glastonbury and Edinburgh Festivals
- Experienced improviser (including all dialogue in “Harold’s Going Stiff”)
Facilitation, Training & Teaching
- Teacher at Redroofs Theatre School (students aged 16-18 years)
- Acting in, and delivering workshops on, National Curriculum set texts as part of Theatre in Education tours (students aged 15 years)
- Google trained teacher and workshop facilitator for the Google Garage outreach program.
- Develops and delivers presentation skills and confidence workshops with psychologist Dr Megan Arroll.